If you have an old laptop and install windows 7 on it, you may notice that your laptop have no audio. Sometimes device manager tells you it is installed and the volume bar work perfectly, but you can still hear no Sound. When you try to download the driver, your manufacture no longer provide updates for Windows 7, what is available only the old driver for Windows XP or Windows Vista.
Before we begin, Soundmax uses AC97 audio which is similar to Realtek AC 97 Audio. Try the AC97 audio first because sometime it did work on some model. Download Link
He is how to use that old Windows Vista or XP for Windows 7.
1. For this example we will install audio on IBM t42. First download your original XP Driver. (for t42 here is the driver: Download )
2. Extract the driver file using 7zip or Winrar. Remember the path/location where we extract the driver file.
3. Now open device manager by click start and select run, type DEVMGMT.MSC
2. Look at the audio controller and right and select update driver.
3. Then select browse my computer for the Driver software
4.Click on browse and point to the driver folder we extracted ealier.
It will takes some time to find the driver file and install it. It will prompt i is not compatible but install it anyway.